Online Student Resources & FAQs
Online Student Resources
- Online Learning Readiness Assessment
- Student Practice Course
- Technical Requirements
- Online Student Code of Conduct
- Zoom Student Guide
- Zoom Mobile Guide
- Registration Directions
- Tips for Success in an Online Class
- SDCCD Copyright Guidelines
- State Authorization Complaint Process
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Registration Information:
Inquiries regarding registration should be directed to mySDCCD Student Support Center or call your helpline
- City College: 619-388-3200
- Mesa College: 619-388-2600
- Miramar College: 619-388-7300
2. How Will my course be offered online?
3. When is my Canvas Account created and how do i login?
Upon completion of registration, you will receive an email with course login instructions a few days before the course starts. You may not be able to login until the first day of class.
Go to : https://sdccd.instructure.com and do the following:
Type your Username = 10-digit College Student Identification (ID number
Type your Password = mmddyyyy (birthdate with no hyphens, slashes or spaces)
for example: 0009010101 (ID number used at registration)
06031980 (password for birthdate June 3, 1980)
Returning online students, use your current password.
4. How can I setup my preferred name?
In order to change your name in Canvas you need to first change it in your My SDCCD Portal. Please refer to this guide for instructions.
5. How do I Zoom?
Most online classes will require you to meet via Zoom. If you're unfamiliar with the program you can view this 5 minute video demonstrating how to use Zoom and you can also refer to this mobile Zoom guide and this Student Setup guide as well.
For assistance with Zoom you can contact their Support at: US: +1.888.799.9666 ext 2 or submit a ticket.
6. How can I get help with Canvas?
For technical assistance, our helpdesk staff is standing by 24/7 to assist you. Chat with Canvas Support or call toll-free (844) 612-7421
7. How to do I navigate a course and is there an overview of Canvas tools?
This video tutorial will take you through a sample course on Canvas. Students get basic navigation instructions inside a Canvas course and an overview of the Canvas tools that are commonly used in online courses.
8. How does Canvas work?
9. Is online learning for me?
Good question! To find out if you're ready to be an online student, you can take the Quest for Online Success online learning readiness assessment.
The Quest for Online Success quiz will help you prepare for what to expect as an online student
10. What kind of computer do I need?
To find out the computer and system requirements to successfully use the programs necessary for online learning, visit the Browser Tune-up and Technical Requirements page.
11. Where do I purchase books?